Read more about Bob McNair Biography
Bob McNair spent his childhood in Forest City, North Carolina, growing up in a middle class family. Upon matriculation from high school, he enrolled at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, where he was a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity. He graduated from the college with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology in 1959.
McNair’s career began in 1960, when he founded the company Cogen Technologies, which is essentially a cogeneration. Little by little, his influence in the business industry began to grow, and so has his net worth, as his company developed further. However, in 1999 he decided to sell his company, and it was purchased by Eron and CalPERS, but McNair retained possession of the power plants in New York and West Virginia.
To speak further of his accomplishments, he owns the McNair Group, a real estate firm which also deal with financials, and he also owns the Palmetto Partners, Ltd. In 2000, he started the biotechnology investment firm, Cogene Biotech Ventures. All of these business ventures have contributed a lot to the overall size of his net worth.
McNair also dabbled in sports, as he is the owner of the Houston Texans; in 1998 he founded the Houston NFL Holdings, and the following year, the Houston Texans were created as the 32nd franchise of the NFL and owned by McNair, which has also increased his net worth.
McNair also serves on the board of several institutions, including Baylor College of Medicine, Rice University, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Grand Opera, among others; he has also received the Anti-Defamation League’s Torch of Liberty Award. He gave $1 million for the completion of McNair Field, which is the home court of the Forest City Owls. In 1999, he was given an honorary doctor of humane letters degree from the University of South Carolina, as a thanks for his contribution to the University, starting a McNair scholarship program.
If to talk about his personal life, Bob McNair is married to Janice McNair, with whom he has four children; their current residence is in Houston, Texas. Bob is also known for his charity work, as in 1989 he and his wife established the Robert and Janice McNair Educational Foundation, which helps young people to attend college.
- Full Name: Robert C. McNair
- Net Worth: $3,3 Billion
- Date Of Birth: 1937
- Died: November 17, 2007, Columbia, South Carolina, United States
- Place Of Birth: Tampa, Florida, United States
- Profession: Businessperson, Chairman and CEO of the McNair Group, Owner of NFL Houston Texans
- Education: East High School, University of South Carolina, Columbia
- Nationality: American
- Spouse: Janice Suber McNair
- Children: Cal McNair, Ruth Smith, Melissa Reichert, Cary McNair
- Parents: Ruse McNair
- IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2254188
- Awards: Anti-Defamation League’s Torch of Liberty Award
- Nominations: Robert and Janice McNair Educational Foundation (established in 1989)
- TV Shows: Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith (2006, TV Series), Black Magic (2008, documentary)
|Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith
||TV Mini-Series documentary